Do you like a good annual challenge? Here’s a new one I put together for 2017. It has 3 sections, for books, music, and film.
Books (20 books)- Read …
- At least 2 books from a murder mystery series that is new to you.
- A book published since 2005 in at least 3 of the following genres- science fiction, fantasy, romance/romantic literary fiction, mystery/suspense, horror, Western
- A YA trilogy in any genre.
- A book translated from French, German, Italian, or Portuguese.
- A book by an African author.
- A book by a South American or Mexican author.
- A book written by someone from your home state.
- A book about someone who died within the past 5 years.
- A book about climate.
- A book about space.
- A book about a journey.
- A book about an ecosystem.
- A book about trains.
- A book about music or art.
- Three classics you have not read yet.
Music (20 albums)
- Listen to an album of jazz released since 2000.
- Listen to 3 albums of classical music that are unfamiliar to you.
- Listen to a rock album released prior to 1995.
- Listen to a rock album released by a currently touring band.
- Listen to a country album released prior to 1995.
- Listen to a country album released within the past 2 years.
- Listen to albums by 3 different all-female acts.
- Listen to 3 albums by a single songwriter that span more than 5 years.
- Listen to an album that was one of your favorites when you were in high school.
- Pick 5 current acts you are not yet familiar with and listen to an album from each of them. (for ideas, use Spotify’s Discovery feature, Amazon recommendations, Youtube recommendations, etc., or a rack at a music store)
Film (30 films)
- Pick 5 actors who have been in multiple films. Find 2 films for each actor that you have not watched yet, and watch them.
- Watch a Western.
- Watch a comedy from 1950-1979.
- Watch a ‘made for TV’ movie.
- Watch 5 movies recommended to you by strangers.
- Watch 5 movies recommended to you by family members.
- Watch 3 documentary films on science topics.
- Watch a history film.
- Watch a subtitled foreign film.
- Watch 2 films from before 1950.