Need more music? Here are 15 more great songs to check out.
- Mark Eitzel – “Ain’t No Sunshine” – This is a smooth, gloomy rendition of what is already an unhappy song. If you’ve seen the movie “High Fidelity”, this track is one you might hear in that dark, smokey piano lounge where men go to feel sorry for themselves in style.
- Maximillian Hecker – “All These Cradles’ Blankets Will Never Veil My Whole Substance” – Remember that this section of my grand Starred playlist is alphabetical by artist, and you’ll appreciate the fact that this song could also be heard in that same smokey, gloomy piano bar.
- Melissa Horn – “Jag saknar dig mindre och mindre” – I always think “Celine Dion?” when this song comes on, though Melissa Horn has a somewhat lower range, I think, and is not singing in French here, but one of the Scandinavian languages. (I ought to know which, and my best guess is Norwegian, but I may easily be wrong.)
- Megson – “Little Joe” – Megson is a British duo that has been around a while. They remind me of a few local bands in Colorado.
- Mia Doi Todd – “Canto de lamanja” – While this song sounds very much like ‘world music’, in other words not standard North American, this song is from a Californian singer-songwriter, and is proof, if we needed any at this point, that American music can sound different from the canned top-40 sound of the month.
Well, after that world-spanning set of 5, taking in a few different European cultures and languages, plus the sad piano bar songs, what could possibly come next? How ’bout Michael Ball? I love his renditions of these two songs.
- Michael Ball – “Every Story”
- Michael Ball – “The Winner Takes It All”
- Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole – “Unforgettable”
- Nickle Creek – “You Don’t Have to Move That Mountain”
- Pale Blue Jak – “Captain Lane”
Next we have a couple covers by Celtic Thunder artists (Pale Blue Jak and Paul Byrom), a Denver artist (Patrick Dethlefs), a “Caledonia” that Celtic Thunder sings, but sung by someone else (there are several songs by that name), and one of Paolo Nutini’s hit songs.
- Pale Blue Jak – “Mr. Blue Sky”
- Paolo Nutini – “10/10”
- Patrick Dethlefs – “Fall & Rise”
- Patrick Feeney – “Caledonia”
- Paul Byrom – “Lullaby (Goodnight My Angel)”
See anything you like? If not, don’t worry. There will be plenty more where these come from.
As always, you can see the whole list on spotify at –http://open.spotify.com/user/128264634/starred