Yay! A new List! This week’s list is heavily weighted towards artists I only just discovered over the past 24 hours, a nice refreshing infusion of new tunes into the highly varied but increasingly familiar body of music I have been showcasing songs from all year. I didn’t have to work too hard to find new music, either, as spotify has started providing useful suggestions lately, no longer trying to push hip-hop and teen-oriented pop music on me the way it seemed to be set on for months. I added a few familiar names to my list, including something by Josh Groban, and a song from the latest Fierce Bad Rabbit album, but this is still mostly a week for all new music (at least wrt what I know so far).
1. Fierce Bad Rabbit- “Better Days”
The one local Colorado band on this week’s list, with a very cool song. This is, I think, one of the songs on the soundtrack for the new movie Whensday, which comes out in a few weeks.
2. Dick Prall- “Saline”
3. David J. Roch- “Hour of Need”
This one reminds me a little bit of some of the music I’ve heard from Depeche Mode or Tears for Fears.
4. Kim Richey- “The Absence of Your Company”
5. Bry Webb, Sarah Harmer, Jim Guthrie – “Long Time Before This”
6. Peter Mulvey- “Vlad the Astrophysicist”
I rarely include spoken-word tracks in these lists, but this one is great, with a nice guitar line and a narrative that presents a really interesting perspective on the Universe.
7. Eastmountainsouth- “Hard Times”
I included Paolo Nutini’s version of this song a while ago in one of these lists, but this is a lovely song, and a luscious rendition of it.
8. Jonae’- “One Less Travelled”
9. Hannah & Maggie– “As You Wake” – Unfortunately these ladies are not coming to Fort Collins on their current tour, but they will be in Boulder on August 21.
10. Gary Barlow- “Walk”
I still blame Colm Keegan & Emmet Cahill for this artist’s inclusion on my song lists, but Gary Barlow does sing some nice songs. I thing it is the presence of folks like him on these lists that confused spotify into trying to promote so much teen-oriented music at me, though.
11. Dala- “Northern Lights”
12. Jake Newton- “Strong Enough”
13. Queen- “’39”
14. Josh Groban- “Mi Mancherai”
15. Levi Weaver- “Rogue Boat”
16. Ruut- “Glimpse”
17. The Meemies- “You vs. the Moon”
18. Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch- “Didn’t Leave Nobody But the Baby”
19. Dry the River- “Shaker Hymns”
20. Bob Schneider- “The Bringdown”